Coconut oil (CO) has become a Natural Moms favorite natural product! It has countless uses in the home, for your health, and will replace many expensive products! Coconut oil is very affordable and available at your local grocery store! The best type to use is Organic Unrefined Virgin Coconut Oil. You do not want to use hydrogenated coconut oil. Coconut oil has natural anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties, and it is naturally healing and moisturizing.
Here are several of my favorite uses for coconut oil:
CO for HEALTH & BEAUTY
• Use as a skin moisturizer.
• Use to heal wounds and scars.
• Use as an after shave cream.
• Use as makeup remover.
• Use as a deep conditioner for hair.
• Use as a natural remedy for Eczema.
• Use as lip balm.
• Use coconut oil as sunscreen for the whole family.
• Use to reduce eye puffiness.
• Use to create a body scrub.
• Use to create homemade lotions and lotion bars.
• Use to create a natural deodorant.
• Mix with eucalyptus oil for homemade vapor-rub.
- Add a few drops of eucalyptus oil to coconut oil and rub into chest.
- Also good to rub into the bottoms of feet and put socks on. Will help control/get rid of coughing.
• Use it to help soothe chicken pox, shingles, or other rashes or skin irritations.
• Soothe & heal sunburned skin, bee stings, & bug bites.
• Use as a natural remedy for dandruff.
• Use to clear up cold sores on your lips!
• Use to cure vaginitis, relief from yeast infections, and even as lubricant for some fun with your significant other! ;)
• Improve digestive disorders by taking a spoonful before each meal!
• Use for oil pulling! Here are a few tips and more information about oil pulling.
CO for BABY & MOM
• Use for your baby’s diaper rash cream.
- Coconut oil provides a natural relief for baby’s bum.
- Coconut oil is cloth diaper safe!
• Use for your baby’s lotion instead of traditional baby creams.
• Use to relieve cradle cap on your little one.
- Gently rub into your baby’s scalp, use a baby brush or comb to gently clean off the dead skin, and finish by taking a warm washcloth over baby’s head.
• Use as a stretch mark cream for prevention before, during, and after pregnancy.
• If nursing, use coconut oil on your nipples to prevent cracking and irritation.
• Consuming coconut oil while nursing will help increase your milk flow.
CO for AROUND THE HOUSE
• Use to season cast iron pans.
- Wash cast iron in hot water; dry over warm burner; apply small amount of coconut oil to pan; place in warm oven (or over warm burner) allowing oil to melt into pan.
• Use as furniture polish.
- Mix with a dash of lemon essential oil for an inexpensive furniture polish that smells delightful!
• Cook with coconut oil vs. vegetable oil or butter.
• Use to treat wooden cutting boards.
• Use to season stoneware.
• Use to pop popcorn.
What is your favorite use(s) for coconut oil in your household?