I was sent a sample of the Sweet Apple Chicken Sausage from al fresco as well as a pack of the precooked chicken bacon to test out in some recipes. I think I was more excited about the bacon because, well… BACON!! It’s precooked so that makes my life ten times easier. I hate cooking bacon. It’s literally on my top five list of despised activities.
For my first recipe, I decided to make some breakfast tacos after dropping the boys at the bus one morning. I used a couple pieces of bacon because I knew I wanted to save the sausage for a meal when all of the kids were home so I could see how they liked it.
Amazing Breakfast Tacos
handful of shredded cheese
1 tomato (diced)
2 slices of chicken bacon
1 avocado (diced)
2 tortillas (I used fresh flour tortillas)
Salt & Pepper to taste
- Scramble your eggs and shredded cheese together. Once the eggs are almost done, add your tomatoes.
- Lay your slices of bacon in the pan with the eggs. Let them warm up while the eggs finish cooking.
- Heat up your tortillas on the stove in an empty pan or between a paper towel in the microwave.
- Layer your eggs onto your tortillas, topped with slice of bacon, diced avocado and salt/pepper.
The tacos were UH-MAZE-ING. The bacon was delicious. It was such a quick and healthy breakfast that I could easily make anytime.
The second thing I decided to make was one of our all-time favorite foods, homemade pizza. My kids love when I make homemade pizza and usually we will use some sort of leftovers like last night’s chicken. I really wanted to do a meat lover’s pizza, so I used the rest of the bacon in the package (which was a lot, I don’t remember how many slices…). I also used one of the chicken sausage links. One link actually went pretty far. I ended up making two pizzas because there is a lot of us.
Meat Lover’s Pizza
2 pizza crusts
1 jar of pasta sauce (or pizza sauce, whichever you prefer)
lots of mozzarella cheese
1 package of chicken bacon (minus 2 slices) (diced)
1 chicken sausage link (diced)
- Preheat oven according to pizza crust packaging.
- Spread pasta sauce all over pizza crust.
- Sprinkle half of chicken bacon and half of sausage all over pizza.
- Cover with lots of mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat steps 1-3 with second pizza crust.
- Bake according to pizza crust packaging or until cheese is melted.
The sausage had a very definite sweet taste that a couple of my boys loved and a couple of them hated. I thought it was delicious and loved the sweet flavor with the savory of the rest of the pizza. Of course, I can never please everyone in one meal. We used the rest of the sausage when we made chocolate chip pancakes so I think the boys thought it fit in better with another sweet food. They aren’t all old enough to appreciate the mixing of sweet and salty/savory foods.
If you run quickly over to the al fresco page, you can enter to win a NYC getaway!!
I am a Crunchy Mama of 5 rowdy boys and 2 sweet girls! I also gave birth to a baby girl in January 2016 for an awesome couple as their surrogate. I married my awesome husband, Brian in October 2016 and we are located in a little city outside of Dallas, Texas. I am a jill-of-many-trades. I run a laundry service, do custom sewing and even sell lactation cookies to my locals. I love to shop at thrift stores, take showers without an audience and spend time dreaming of a life off the grid! Follow me on Instagram for behind-the-scenes photos in the life of my crunchy family!