Remember my list of baby things you just DON’T need? Well, I sort of left you hanging, didn’t I? Here is the follow up of the things that are actually helpful to have around when that little spawn of yours arrives!
- Boobs. Whoever said formula is easier is CRAZY. I don’t have to warm up my boobs, sterilize my boobs or pack extra boobs when I go out.
- A breast pump. If you plan to go back to work, you’ll need a pump to keep giving your little one that precious liquid gold. Unfortunately, you can’t leave the boobs with the sitter.
- Giant muslin blankets. Those fabulous blankets made by Aden & Anais are seriously some of the best blankets ever. They are perfect for swaddling as they aren’t too hot. They also make great picnic blankets, play mats and nursing covers in a pinch.
- Cloth diapers. Buy, use, wash, reuse, resell. Doesn’t that sound more economical than “buy, use, trash, buy”?
- Convertible car seat. Look for one that will give you the longest time of use! There are great options in all price ranges.
- Baby carrier. Find a local baby wearing group and see if they have a lending library. Or just go to some baby wearing meet ups and try before you buy! There are SO many styles of carriers out there that it’s best to do a lot of research before you buy.
- USED clothes. Seriously, go to the thrift store or a consignment sale. You can find nice, name brand clothes for a fraction of the original cost! Better yet, find some cheap, plain onesies and embellish them yourself like I did for my son, Chevy!
- An amber necklace. This is how we spot crunchies in the wild. Haha, I’m kidding. Or am I? Teething necklaces are awesome!
- An Ikea highchair. Not kidding, people. These are the best high chairs and SO cheap. I got one used (I love used stuff) for $5!! It has no annoying covers, is super easy to clean and is pretty compact.
- Coconut oil. While this isn’t really a baby thing, it’s great for dry skin, cradle cap and diaper rash!
Pretty simple, huh? Babies REALLY don’t need much. As long as they are fed, dry and near you, they are usually pretty happy. What is your favorite baby necessity?