Let’s face it… Halloween costumes are not cheap. For the price, you don’t get quality, either. Since I have 5 boys, I can’t afford to spend $30-50 on a costume that they will likely only ever wear once and only for a couple of hours.
Crunchy costume ideas
- Buy second hand: Thrift stores, garage sales, consignment sales, and Facebook b/s/t groups are a great place to buy a gently-used costume at a fraction of the cost.
- Hold a swap: Get together with your mom group, and have everyone with kids in a certain age group bring old costumes to trade either permanently or just to borrow.
- Hand-me-downs: Accept hand-me-downs from friends and family members with kids older than yours. I also pass down costumes from my older boys to the younger ones.
- DIY: Make your own. If your child is old enough, let them help! A little creativity can go a long way!
Crunchy trick-or-treat alternatives
My kids always end up with a bucket full of candy, which I usually end up eating. I love when they get non-candy treats and so do they!
Here are some ideas that won’t cut the teeth of your neighborhood’s children, but make sure you check for allergies first!
- clementines (easy for kids to peel)
- pre-packaged bags of pistachios (my kids love these!)
- braided or beaded bracelets (have older kids make them)
- honey sticks
- cheap flashlight (with batteries)
While I’m not completely opposed to handing out toothbrushes, Halloween is about fun, not dental hygiene. You can have fun without giving away cavity-inducing junk!
Photo by Tirza Van
I am a Crunchy Mama of 5 rowdy boys and 2 sweet girls! I also gave birth to a baby girl in January 2016 for an awesome couple as their surrogate. I married my awesome husband, Brian in October 2016 and we are located in a little city outside of Dallas, Texas. I am a jill-of-many-trades. I run a laundry service, do custom sewing and even sell lactation cookies to my locals. I love to shop at thrift stores, take showers without an audience and spend time dreaming of a life off the grid! Follow me on Instagram for behind-the-scenes photos in the life of my crunchy family!