If you are trying to get a lot of the chemicals out of your house, I would start with your All Purpose spray. Generally, this is what you are spraying on all of the most used surfaces in your house, including where you prepare and eat your food. When you use these sprays, wiping them off does not remove all of the chemicals. The chemicals can linger and transfer to your food or your skin when you touch the surfaces.
A great and inexpensive alternative is to make your own cleaning spray. If you are a crunchy mom, chances are, you might already have one or more essential oils that you can use to make your Homemade All Purpose Spray. If you would like to purchase some oils, you can order Young Living oils by emailing Charlise.
- 1 cup water (more or less depending on your bottle size)
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar (more or less depending on your bottle size
- 15-25 drops of essential oils (depending on bottle size)
- BPA-free plastic or glass bottle with spray top
- Combine all ingredients into a bottle with a spray top. Shake before every use as the ingredients will separate.
- Use washi tape and permanent marker to label your bottles. The tape removes easily if you decide to change the contents.
The following essential oils have antimicrobial properties:
- tea tree
- You can also use blends such as Young Living‘s Thieves or Purification.
For my kitchen spray, I like to use a blend of Thieves/Onguard, Oregano and Lemon oils. For a bathroom spray, I prefer to use Tea Tree and Lemon oil. Create a blend that works perfect for you and the space where you will use it!
* Some oils are not safe for young children, so please keep bottles of oil out of your child’s reach. Also, you can see a list of oils here that should be avoided when using around children. *
I am a Crunchy Mama of 5 rowdy boys and 2 sweet girls! I also gave birth to a baby girl in January 2016 for an awesome couple as their surrogate. I married my awesome husband, Brian in October 2016 and we are located in a little city outside of Dallas, Texas. I am a jill-of-many-trades. I run a laundry service, do custom sewing and even sell lactation cookies to my locals. I love to shop at thrift stores, take showers without an audience and spend time dreaming of a life off the grid! Follow me on Instagram for behind-the-scenes photos in the life of my crunchy family!