I have been pumping since four days post-partum to give Laken the most precious gift of breast milk. At first, I was using the Ameda Purely Yours pump that I had. It was working, but I was having a hard time with sore nipples and I was getting clogs. I had heard in some of my surrogacy and exclusively pumping Facebook groups that the Spectra line of pumps were REALLY good.
I got in touch with Brianne at Spectra Baby USA and she hooked me up with the Spectra S1. I immediately fell in love with this pump. There are so many wonderful features that this pump has. Let me tell you about all of the pros.
- My most favorite feature is that is doesn’t make me feeling like something is ripping my nipples off. It is a lot more gentle than my other pump.
- The S1 is very quiet. This is important when I am pumping in the middle of the night or in the early morning when I don’t want a loud noise waking up my children. Since we all live and sleep in close proximity, this was always a fear of mine with my Ameda.
- There are multiple settings along with a massage/let-down feature which is 70 suck cycles per minute with a range of 1 to 5 for the vacuum. The settings range from 38 to 54 suck cycles per minute with vacuum settings of 1 to 12. I use mine on 42 cycles and 10 to 12 vacuum after I have had it on the massage feature for a few minutes. Then I switch back and forth with some short breaks in between to help increase my milk. The pump remembers the setting so make sure you turn it down or be prepared for your setting when you turn it on!
- There is a 2 setting night light which is super handy for middle of the night pumping. I don’t have to turn on a light to make sure I am hooked up properly.
- The pump also has a timer so you know how long you have been pumping. It automatically shuts off after thirty minutes. This is especially helpful if you fall asleep or your toddler turns on your pump.
- A really cool feature that I love is that the pump has a rechargeable battery. When fully charged, the pump will give you about three hours of pump time. That means I can charge at night and when I go out during the day for errands, I can take my pump and not have to worry about needing a plug. I can get in three pump sessions easily using the battery and the suction is just as good as when it’s plugged in.
The only thing I have had trouble with is the small flanges that the pump comes with (you can order larger ones) and the fact that I have accidentally pulled out the tubing many times. It comes off of the backflow protector fairly easily, so I have to be careful with the tubing. I wish the tubing were a LITTLE bit longer.
Overall, the S1 is AMAZING. It has replaced my Ameda and has helped me to increase my milk a lot faster. It’s definitely the pump you want if you will be pumping often or exclusively pumping.
Spectra Baby USA has been super generous In providing an S1 Breastpump for me to give away to a lucky winner! If you’d like to enter to win, follow the steps on the widget below! View our complete giveaway rules before entering!! Winner will be contacted via email!
I am a Crunchy Mama of 5 rowdy boys and 2 sweet girls! I also gave birth to a baby girl in January 2016 for an awesome couple as their surrogate. I married my awesome husband, Brian in October 2016 and we are located in a little city outside of Dallas, Texas. I am a jill-of-many-trades. I run a laundry service, do custom sewing and even sell lactation cookies to my locals. I love to shop at thrift stores, take showers without an audience and spend time dreaming of a life off the grid! Follow me on Instagram for behind-the-scenes photos in the life of my crunchy family!