The Unassisted Birth of Charles Danger

I would never recommend an unassisted birth to anyone.  It’s a very personal decision and it is one that should be made after much research.  This was my 5th baby and we lived out in the country, about 20 minutes from the closest hospital.  All my my past labors had gone SUPER fast, so expected this one to be very similar…

So after my middle of the night pee, I decided to lie on my right side because my back was killing me…  I woke up at 7:15am, 10 days past my due date, with a crampy, but super short contraction.  I figured it was because I had to pee again, so I went back to the bathroom.  Afterwards, I sat back on my bed with my phone and the cramps kept coming every 3 minutes.  After about 5 regular, painful contractions I told Brandon it was time to fill up the pool.  We got a big inflatable pool set up in our dining room and had one end lifted up off the ground so only half would fill up, taking less water.  He didn’t believe me at first and told me I didn’t look like I was in labor.  I told him to come back in two minutes to see me pain, so he headed off to start filling up the pool.

After a couple more contractions, I waited until one ended and walked into the living room to sit on the couch.  I wanted to see how close the pool was to being full.  Unfortunately, it was only about half way and he had turned off the water to let the water heater fill back up.  I sat there for a couple contractions and decided I needed to get in the pool.  My older 4 boys were awake, so we sent them outside to play.  We lived on 5 acres, with a mile long driveway, so the boys loved to run and play outside.  I couldn’t focus with them in the house being loud and asking so many questions.  My contractions were coming about every 2 minutes by then.  I was moving all around trying to get comfortable, going from on my hands and knees to sitting back.  Suddenly, the contractions got way more intense and I told him to turn the water back on NOW.  When he did, the water was nice and hot.  The pool kept filling up and I stayed on my knees, leaning forward.

I had a really strong contraction and felt Charlie move down.  I told Brandon to get ready because I was pretty sure Charlie was coming out with the next contraction or two.  With the next one, my body was bearing down on its own and his head came out.  I could feel the cord around his neck twice, so I reached down and as I pulled it over his head, his body slipped out into my hands!  The cord was super long, thankfully, because I didn’t even get it completely over his head before my body just pushed him out.  It was super fast!

We waited a while for the cord to stop pulsating, then tied it off with some embroidery floss and cut the cord.  I handed baby off to dad and holding the big blue puppy pad between my legs, I waddled to the bedroom so get comfy and warm in the bed.  After about 15 minutes, my placenta came out and we looked it over for missing pieces and admired its’ beauty.  Charlie latched on fairly quickly and was a happy little eater.  My mom arrived a couple hours later and we all enjoyed our new, perfect baby!

Charles Danger Graves was born at 8:30 am on May 18th, 2013.  He was 9 pounds, 2 oz and 20″ long. 

charliedanger charliedanger2 charliedanger3

Comments on this post

Love this story! So fast, I feel like it would be overwhelming! My last home birth labor was 6 hours, ctx starting close together from the start, and it was almost too fast for me!

It was VERY fast!! My first son was my longest labor at 6 hours. The rest were all 2 hours or less!